Finding Freedom from Body Image Struggles Through Faith, Motherhood, and Surrender
Religion / Christian Living
Date Published: July 28, 2026
Publisher: Lucid Books Publishing
Hello Peace is a faith-filled journey for women navigating body image struggles, identity, and the physical and emotional changes of pregnancy and motherhood. Through a raw and honest personal story, this book invites readers to move from fear, comparison, and control into surrender, renewal, and lasting peace in Christ.
Blending Scripture, reflection, and practical journaling prompts, it equips women to break free from shame, rediscover their worth, and anchor their identity in God—not in appearance or performance.
For any woman who has ever felt at war with her body, this book offers hope, healing, and a reminder that God is not calling her back to who she was—but forward into who she is becoming.
What was your main drive to write this book?
I was first inspired to write Hello Peace simply as a journal to help me navigate my own peaks and valleys during pregnancy. As someone with a history of an eating disorder and body image struggles, I knew pregnancy and the inevitable changes to my body would bring some challenges. Writing helped me process what I was experiencing, but as I continued, I felt this pull on my heart that the words the Lord was giving me weren't meant only for me. I began to believe that sharing my story could help other women walking through their own struggles with body image, identity, motherhood, and change.
It took some time, and quite a few seasons of putting the manuscript aside as life continued on, but during my second pregnancy, I knew it was finally time to finish what I had started. In many ways, God used those years between my two pregnancies to write parts of the story I didn't even know were missing yet.
What do you hope readers will learn by reading this book?
I hope readers finish Hello Peace carrying three things with them.
First, you are not alone. Whether it's pregnancy, motherhood, sport, injury, illness, aging, or simply living in a body that continues to change, you are not the only woman who struggles to love or accept her body every single day. I hope Hello Peace gives women the courage to bring those struggles into the light, talk about them, and find people who can walk alongside them.
Second, your body was never meant to carry the weight of your identity or your worth. Our bodies are important and worthy of care, but they were never designed to tell us who we are or determine whether we are enough. When our identity becomes rooted in Christ rather than our appearance, our weight, our performance, or the approval of others, it changes the way we are able to view and care for ourselves.
And lastly, healing doesn't mean you never struggle again. I think for a long time I believed healing meant reaching a point where the hard thoughts simply disappeared. What I have learned is that healing is much more continual than that. There may still be difficult days, changing seasons, or old thoughts that resurface. The difference is that we can become so rooted in Truth that we know where to return when they do.
My greatest hope is that women walk away from this book knowing that lasting peace isn't found in finally achieving the "right" body or never having another insecure thought. It is found in continually returning to the Lord and allowing Him to remind us who we are, whose we are, and where our worth has been all along.
Did you do much research when planning this book?
This book came directly from my heart, my faith, and my own experiences, so it didn't require traditional research in the way some books might. It is written in a
memoir-meets-devotional style, with my own story serving as the thread throughout.
I did pay close attention to the structure and flow of devotionals that have personally impacted me, particularly how they invite the reader to move beyond simply reading someone else's words and begin reflecting on their own story. That helped me think intentionally about the reflection questions and journaling prompts throughout Hello Peace. I never wanted readers to simply read my story. I wanted it to create space for them to explore their own.
But at its core, this book was very much written straight from the heart.
Did you have any main people who helped you in the process of this book or influenced you to write it?
My husband and our two children were absolutely my greatest inspiration. I share throughout the book how deeply intertwined all three of them have been with my own healing journey. Motherhood, marriage, and watching our family grow have revealed things in me that I probably never would have recognized otherwise.
I have also been deeply impacted by several athletes I have worked with throughout my career. There have been moments in counseling when faith became part of the conversation and we allowed the Lord into that space, and wow, did He move. Watching women begin to separate their worth from their bodies and their performance has had a profound impact on me as both a dietitian and a writer. Those experiences have also become part of the inspiration behind the next book I'm working on... so stay tuned!
How long did this book take you to write from initial thought to hitting publish?
From the very first journal entry to publication, Hello Peace took about four years to write. A large part of that was because I kept putting it aside as life moved forward.
Looking back, though, I am actually grateful for those pauses. I grew, our family grew, my faith grew, and my understanding of my own healing continued to deepen. There were parts of the final manuscript that I simply couldn't have written when I first started
the book. What once felt like a delay ended up becoming part of what made the story feel complete and full circle.
Do you have plans to write more about this topic or new topics?
Absolutely! I already have another book in the works that will explore faith-centered body image healing, specifically through the lens of athletes. It brings together so many parts of my own story and professional life—my faith, my experience as an athlete, my work as a sports dietitian, and the many conversations I've had with athletes over the years about body image, food, performance, and identity. I'm really excited to see how it continues to take shape and, eventually, to share it with the world.
Beth McCall is a registered dietitian, sports nutrition specialist, and founder of Purposeful Fueling, where she helps individuals fuel their body, mind, and life with purpose. With over a decade of experience working with high school, collegiate, and professional athletes, Beth is passionate about supporting both performance and whole-person wellness.
A devoted follower of Christ, her work is deeply shaped by her personal journey of healing from an eating disorder and finding freedom through God’s truth. Hello Peace is her debut book, inspired by her experiences in pregnancy and motherhood and her desire to help women anchor their identity in Christ.
Beth lives with her husband, son, and daughter, and enjoys running, hiking, and spending time with her family.
Instagram: @bethmiller_7 @purposefulfueling

No comments: