Interview With Author of Metal Mouth - Jaimie Engle @theWRITEengle #interview #author @RABTBookTours - A Life Through Books

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Interview With Author of Metal Mouth - Jaimie Engle @theWRITEengle #interview #author @RABTBookTours


 photo METALMOUTH_Ebook_300_zpsc8wo3uss.jpg
YA Magical Realism
Date Published: 12/1/2018
Publisher: JME Books

 photo add-to-goodreads-button_zpsc7b3c634.png

Mahlorie hates her braces. And who cares what she looks like anyway? Her parents sure do. Dad, a traveling magician, and Mom, a famous erotica author, constantly harp on the importance of appearance. Her best friend Shai is the epitome of pop-culture, crushing on every boy with a cute smile. But when Mal has a near-death experience and can suddenly hear a boy’s voice in her head, life takes a turn for the weird. He can hear her too. How did her braces become transmitters? And who is this boy she just might be falling in love with? For fans of “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Everything, Everything.”


 INTERVIEW


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

The actual WRITING. I can find everything else in the world to do but sit down in front of my laptop and type. Once I get started though, the story always flows so easy as if I’m watching a film and dictating. So I wake up every morning, Monday through Friday, and set an hour timer to write. This gives me about 1,000 words a day, which is perfect!



What songs are most played on your Iphone?

I usually listen to composers on Pandora. My favorite is Hans Zimmer radio, but I also love Danny Elfman and John Williams.



Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

I use different beta readers for each draft of the book, with the exception of a handful. Once I make changes to a draft, I can’t use the same reader because they have already experienced the story so they’ll either a) notice the change, not the story or b) wonder why I didn’t take their suggestion.



What book are you reading now?

Mortal Instruments, book 1.



How did you start your writing career?

I went to tons of writing conferences, found a great critique group, read a billion books on craft, and wrote draft after draft until I felt like my work could compete with the books on the shelves of a brick and mortar store. 



Tell us about your next release.


Metal Mouth originated as a dream that woke me up laughing out loud. A girl wearing braces gets struck by lightning, and now they’re transmitting a boy’s voice inside her head. She has to figure out if he’s real, and if so, why has the universe brought them together. It’s a sweet, fun book that deals with some serious topics such as self-image, drinking and driving, and boundaries. The story will make you laugh, cry, and leave with “the feels” in your heart.

No comments: